Monday, March 19, 2007

Funny news for the hard of hearing...

Ah, Stanstead Airport!

Quite possibly one of the most painful traveling experiences you're likely to find - the queues, the security checks, the waiting... not exactly a stress-free way to travel.



The mainstay of the departure lounge is of course 'anxious dad' - the stereotypical man who sits watching the departure screen to see what gate to go to. GO! GATE 85! RUN! FOR GODS SAKE... RUN! 85! FORGET YOUR BAGS, GOOOO! he screams as the gate number pops up, still at least half an hour before the plane actually boards.

Usually, watching anxious dad brightens up my waiting experience as I chew on my jumbo toblerone (well, you have to really) in the departure lounge. But today I found even better amusement - courtesy of Sky News.

As i watched the screens, i noticed a subtitled Sky News bulletin and keen to see what was going on in the world - besides anxious dad and that stubborn bit of toblerone stuck in my teeth - I watched.

But what I read on screen as Eamon Holmes (or whoever) read the news was pure comedy.

Speaking of the notorious Kensal Green Tribe muggings on the London Underground outside crown court, the subtitles read:

'They asked people for their mobile phones. And when people refused they resorted to threats of violence - often with knives or sisters.'

That's right - SISTERS!



Trying my best to stiffle the laughter I continued to watch as the subtitle machine made a flurry of comedy errors one after the other.

I'm sure you can imagine, come to the Freddie Flintoff story, what the subtitles translated 'pedalo' as...

No comments: